Cacao for now!

14:53

Every year when lent approaches, I rack my brains for what I can give up (and not crave enough to cave before the 40 days are up). Although I try and do something different each year, I always come back to chocolate. I think it's the thought that somewhat guilts me into starving myself of the sweet treat until then in order to justify the binge come Easter Sunday!

What is it about knowing you can't (or shall I say shouldn't) have something that makes you crave it so much more!? I'm not particularly a big chocolate eater myself, but this time of year means Malteaster Bunnies and Creme Eggs - say no more!

I wanted to use lent as a chance to finally use the pouch of cacao powder I had purchased a few months ago and remains unopened in my kitchen cupboard. Ok, so I may be bending the rules of lent a little, but if you can't use it as an excuse to experiment with healthy treats, call me a cheat.

For those of you that are unfamiliar with cacao powder (and no, I haven't misspelt cocoa), it is a more pure and healthy form of chocolate, classed as a superfood. It is derived straight from the plant with only the fat (cacao butter) removed and ground down into a powder. Unlike cocoa powder, it has not been processed and therefore has had none of its many nutrients removed.

Cacao powder provide some of the highest levels of antioxidants over other superfoods due to the amount of flavonoids it contains. It is also rich in magnesium, fibre and zinc along with many other vitamins and minerals.


Here's some of my favourite snacks that have kept me from breaking my Lenten vow:


'Healthy' chocolate milkshake - for when the chocolate cravings really kick in.



Cacao & coconut energy bites - for a quick fix, on the go or post gym snack.



Raw peanut butter cups - possibly my best discovery yet, not sure if I'll ever go back to Reese's after this recipe!



As always I'd love to hear from you guys; what have you given up for lent? Or what ways do you try and overcome sweet tooth cravings?



You Might Also Like

0 comments